Programs and Presentations 2023
- 1) The BOOK-CLUB/INTERFAITH STUDY GROUP will meet on January 11, 2023, to complete the review of Chapters 5-10 and the Epilogue of MUHAMMAD, THE WORLD-CHANGER: AN INTIMATE PORTRAIT, by MOHAMAD JEBARA.
In the final meeting on this book will be held on February 1, 2023, the Group Members will share their perspectives on different aspects of Jebara’s book.
- 2) LOCATION: All Peoples’ Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 4936 Brownsboro Road, Louisville, Kentucky 40222
DATE & TIME: January 17, 2023, Tuesday, 7- 8:30 PM
OBJECTIVES: 1) To familiarize the audience with Islamic Calligraphy which is regarded as a supreme Art Form in Muslim culture; 2) To describe the origin, evolution and different styles and scripts that evolved and have continued to flourish over the centuries; 3) To highlight differences in Islamic Calligraphy including Chinese, Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman (Turkish), Mughal and Andalusian (Spanish) influence; 4) To discuss the increasing popularity of Islamic Calligraphy among Muslims, as well as Non-Muslims, from an aesthetic, artistic standpoint.BRIEF BIO-SKETCH: Dr. Saleem Seyal graduated with a MD. Degree from Nishtar Medical University in Multan, Pakistan in 1974. He completed his Internal Medicine residency in the U. S. An experienced Interventional and Clinical Cardiologist he has practiced in the Kentuckiana area since 1983. Now, semi-retired, he works part-time in Clarksville, Indiana.
- 3) The BOOK-CLUB/INTERFAITH STUDY GROUP will meet on February 1, 2023 (7.00 -8.30 p. m.) to complete the review of Chapters 9 and 10, and the Epilogue of MUHAMMAD, THE WORLD-CHANGER: AN INTIMATE PORTRAIT, by MOHAMAD JEBARA. Following this review, we will reflect on what we regard as the positive/negative aspects of the book. Finally, we will discuss how the book is to be characterized: a) as a biography; b) as an historical novel; c) as a novel; or d) as something else.
- 4) The BOOK-CLUB/INTERFAITH STUDY GROUP will meet on Wednesday, February 21, 2023 (7.00 – 8.30 p. m.) to begin a review of Salman Rushdie’s book The Satanic Verses in which Prophet Muhammad (called “Mahound”) is represented in a highly derogatory and scornful way. This book has been a subject of intense controversy and debate since its first publication in September 1988. Dr. Riffat Hassan will explain the symbolic, mythological, theological and historical references in the book.
- 5) The BOOK-CLUB/INTERFAITH STUDY GROUP will meet on Monday, March 20, 2023 (7.00 – 8.30 p. m.) to continue our review of Salman Rushdie’s book THE SATANIC VERSES. The assigned Readings for our next meeting are PART II (“MAHOUND”) and PART III (“ELLOWEEN DEEOWEEN”).